Many time, new comers into MS SQL Server field (including me, When I was new in this field) rich at the Point that, what to select for future DBA or DEV?
Here I am trying describing the Roles and other benefits of the DBA and DEV Professional as following.
On the Basis of JOB ROLE:
A SQL DEV. must have knowledge to write complex query and stored procedure. In the case of DBA writing simple query is ok.
- A SQL server DBA must be a master of High availability, High Performance and responsible for keep Database server out of Risk. Where developers are responsible writing code in a manner that consume less time and effort of hardware of server.
- Where the Developers can develop there won SPs and Functions and can develop high-end solution as per their ability. The DBAs are depending upon the pre developed SPs or tools.
- Mostly DBA’s job involves the shift work (night also). Mostly DEV’s job does not need to work in night shift. (Depends upon the Type of company)
- A DEV’s mistake may not effect more than a mistake of DBA, so a DBA having more sensitive responsibility than DEVs.
Note: Some time a DBA can write the complex query, SPs and High-end solution. And some time a DEV can manage the high availability and performance problem of SQL Database server, in this case the Personnel doing so is a DBA cum DEV or a DEV cum DBA.
On the Basis of Pay scale:
The pay scale is always depends upon the personnel’s ability. Many people said that a developer earns more than a DBA, but this is the time where may opportunities are open for the DBAs with high Pay scale.
On the Basis Job Offers:
- There is more opening for the DEV s in comparison of DBAs. But now in modern technological age the more positions are opening for the DBA also.
- Getting a job of Dev is easier than getting a job as DBA, because no one likes to entertain you with his Production Database, if you are fresher.